17 Apr Continuous Pain Relief with Spinal Cord Stimulation
Spinal cord stimulation involves implanting a permanent spinal cord stimulator under the skin. This stimulator delivers electrical impulses to the spinal nerves (that are causing pain), that block pain messages before they reach the brain. Spinal cord stimulation therapy has proven highly effective in reducing dependency on pain medications.
Spinal cord stimulation is used in the treatment of various pain conditions that have not obtained relief with other pain management techniques, such as –
- failed back surgery syndrome,
- complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS),
- chronic low back pain that does not respond to other therapies, and
- chronic arm and leg pain
Spinal cord stimulation is performed in two separate procedures.
- Initial trial – An initial procedure uses an external generator to test the effectiveness of the treatment before moving on to permanent spinal cord stimulator implant.
- Permanent implant – If you experience 50 percent, or more, relief during the trial period, you will undergo a second procedure to implant a permanent stimulator under your skin for long-term relief.
Your pain specialist will design an individualized treatment plan for you beginning with an in-depth medical history and physical exam. Your customized treatment plan can include medication, physical therapy, interventional procedures, and other treatment options.
If you or a loved one is suffering from chronic pain, consult the leading pain management doctors in Chandler and Gilbert, AZ, call Desert Interventional Spine Consultants at 480-838-1914 Today. DISC pain management clinic offers the highest quality pain management and treatment to Mesa, Tempe, Gilbert and Chandler, AZ and nearby areas.