17 Oct Multidisciplinary Pain Management to Maximize Pain Relief
Pain medicine offers many treatment options, including medication, therapeutic injections, physical therapy and interventional pain treatments. Multidisciplinary pain management relies on a combination of two or more treatments to maximize pain control.
Such treatment may include –
- Activity Modification – Restriction of activities that aggravate pain
- Medication Management – Non-steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs or NSAIDs, muscle relaxants, narcotics (opioids) and anti-depressants have proven to help manage certain types of chronic pain. These are prescribed and monitored closely by pain specialists.
- Injections – Injections can be used to diagnose as well as relieve pain. Commonly used injections include epidural steroid, facet joint, and sacroiliac joint injections
- Nerve Blocks – Nerve blocks are injections of a numbing agent and pain relieving medication into the pain causing nerve, such as the medial branch, peripheral and sympathetic nerve block
- Physical Therapy – Heat/ice, massage, spinal traction, transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS), ultrasound, and therapeutic exercises are used to help strengthen muscles to support the affected joints and restore mobility.
- Radiofrequency Ablation is a minimally invasive procedure that prevents nerves from sending pain signals to the brain.
- Spinal Cord Stimulation involves implanting a device that produces electrical impulses to block pain perception.
- Intrathecal Pumps or pain pumps are surgically implanted to deliver medication within the spinal canal.
Employing a multidisciplinary approach ensures lasting pain relief and improvement in the patient’s quality of life so that s/he can return to a normal life, doing thing s/he enjoys.
To learn more or to consult a pain specialist at one of the best pain clinics in Arizona, call Desert Interventional Spine Consultants (DISC) at 480-838-1914. The East Valley pain center in Arizona has the top pain management doctors who are committed to providing the highest quality spine care with cutting edge interventional pain treatments and precise diagnostic tests.